Monday, January 3, 2011

What I Want To Be Said Of Me


Recently, someone said to me, "Sheila, It is a comfort to have you in the building."

Upon hearing those words pour loving from my friend's heart, I thanked her for the genuine compliment...and let it sink deep inside my own heart.

Later, when alone, I began to ponder those words again, and had this response: "Those beautiful words sum up what I want said of me, when my journey on this earth is over!"

My husband--"It was a comfort to have you right by my side, Sheila."

My children--"It was a comfort to know that you loved us and always believed in us, Mom."

My family and friends--"It was a comfort to know you cared, and showed us intentionally that we mattered to you, Sheila"

My birth clients--"It was a comfort to know that you would stay beside me, and believe that I could successfully birth my baby."

Total Strangers--"It was comforting to see your warm smile."

Dictionary.com says that "Comfort" means, "to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to"
If I want to be remembered as one who soothes, consoles, cheers...what do I need to do to make sure that I am remembered as a "Comfort".
The world around me is full of chaos, stress, fatigue, anger, fear, pain...the list could go on for miles. What can I do to bring comfort to those who come into my world every day?

I am aware that not all our problems and issues can be solved with just a smile or hug, but it might be a good start! There is a quote that a smile or kind word may not change the world, but it might change the world for that one person. I've often been the recipient of a kind gesture, or a friendly smile or helpful word, and it means something!!

When I think about how easily it is to get consumed with our own coming and going; our busy, busy lives, I feel compelled to stop the madness, and just be a comfort to anyone that gets within arms reach of me. I feel convicted, because I know that I am guilty of not being very comforting to my own family often enough, and that needs to be different.

As a Wife, Mother and Doula, I know the power of touch. It may be a firm hand of support around the back of someone who feels weak. It may be grasping their hand to assure them that we are in this together. It may be a hug, to let them know that I regard them as important, and I love them.

The power of the spoken word, is just as great. Proverbs 15:1 says, "
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

I have my work cut out for me, but I'm up to the challenge! As I type this, one of my own is feeling "put out" with me...so I need to practice what I preach and go do a little comforting.

Goodnight...and until we meet again, take care of each other.
Sheila

4 comments:

Renee said...

That truly is your word Sheila! As my kids would say, you owwwwwnn it. I love your comforting presense as well and would love to emulate that in my own life... Christ's calming presense... I just don't think it comes as naturally.... I may be calling you up for a "comforting" shortly. Ahhhhhh!

Anonymous said...

Your gentle, comforting way was what drew me to you on Facebook and then your blog and then to YOU. Renee is so right, comfort is your word. There really is "something" about you being in the room. (I can see your face turning red - too bad)

It's wonderful that you can embrace how God made you. So many fight it and only see the "dark" side of their gifts.

Us zesty people need you comforting people. We get tired of being zesty all the time.

What a DEAR you are! I've missed your posts. Welcome back.

RicKaren said...

I always enjoy your posts so much! I awarded you a Stylish Blogger award. Details on my blog. I hope you get many new visitors to this special blog.

Jamie said...

That is EXACTLY how I would describe you.
Sheila, I am blessed to have you in my life, and you have been a "comfort" so many times.
Thanks for being there.

Jamie

P.S. I am so glad to see your blog again. I accidentally lost my entire blog list recently so I have been trying to get all of them back. :)