Friday, March 25, 2011

Faith-Building Friday


My friend, Tiffany has asked for stories of faith today, in an effort to increase her own. Because I know how hearing about others experiences, increases my own faith, I jumped on board!

I was raised in a church where members frequently shared their testimonies and moments where God showed up! Not knowing then how much their stories increased my faith, I realize now just how much I miss that!

Just last weekend, Duane and I were invited to St. Maries Nazarene Church in St. Maries, Idaho to be part of their Lay Witness Mission Weekend. For those not familiar with what Lay Witness Missions are, here is a synopsis:

A Lay Witness is someone like you and I, who are on a journey toward God. We are not pastors, preachers, evangelists, or speakers. We are normal, everyday people who have a story to tell of God's Redemption and Hope!

A Lay Witness Mission is a weekend event, where 20-30 people are invited to create a team, go into a church and spend the weekend, staying in their homes, sharing our stories of faith, lead small group times, and encourage conversational prayer and spiritual growth in that particular church body.

Last October, our own church held this event, that we attended for the first time. I still struggle to find words that will describe how life-changing that weekend was for me, and for our family! God blessed that weekend, and I am forever different.
When we were invited to join the Lay Witness Team who was going to St. Maries, we had our doubts we were "equipped" or "qualified". We were told if we felt that way, we were perfect for this...thank you very much! We prayed about it, and agreed to go. I am SO glad we did!

I was nervous about sharing my Faith Story...simply because I get like that when I have to get in front of people. But with God's strength, I told my story. Then throughout the weekend, we led small group prayer and discussion times. We had opportunities to eat with them, listen to them, pray with them, and worship with them. Bottom line: I fell in love with St. Maries!!!

My faith is increased, because we had the chance to pray with people as they made a commitment to follow Christ. We prayed for healing with health, relationships and marriages...and with faith, believe that God will do as He promised. We listened as hard hearts were made soft in the Spirit of love and encouragement.

I personally saw how God is working in the lives of the oppressed, possessed, broken-hearted, lonely, hopeless, angry, fearful....
He has come that they might have HOPE, LOVE, JOY, PEACE, REDEMPTION and FREEDOM from that which binds them!

1 Peter 1:7
"These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed"


My faith has been increased, and Jesus gets all my praise!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So faith-building to me to hear how God used you and Duane on your LWM! Your stories are so important to share; God has turned your lives upside down! I love just being around it. LOLOL!