Monday, March 1, 2010

A Beautiful History

"Whenever you run away, whenever you lose your faith, it's just another stroke of the pen on the page. A lonely ray of hope, is all you need to see, a beautiful history" (Beautiful History, Plumb)

When all is said and done...will those I leave behind read a 'beautiful history' ? That thought is pounding around in my head tonight, after listening to this song.

I will be attending the funeral of a elderly great-aunt tomorrow, and her life and death have caused me to ponder for a week, what it means to live and end well. What I keep coming back to, is, that one cannot just decide at the very end to 'end well'. Ending well starts long before the end.
It starts at a point, where you become aware that life is not about what you do for yourself, but what do you do that will leave an imprint on others, for good. It starts with investing, not your money, but yourself. It starts with realizing that life has dealt you pain, but what you do with your misery, matters. It starts with taking the joy in our hearts and sharing it.

Ending well, is all about living well!
Did I love? Did I show mercy and compassion? Did I speak kindly? Did I laugh easily, and weep when it hurt? Did I work hard and play harder? Did I give endlessly, from a heart that cared? Did I take the rocky paths of my life, and lead my children to The Father, who never left my side? Did I point others to the Great Comforter, Who had held me as my heart ached?

We are all going through things that will be written on the pages of our story, and those who read it will see our pain, our joys, our failures and our acheivements.

Those reading my story, will read about the times when I lost my way, and then how God came along and set me back on the right path. They will read about the days when I didn't have a stitch of faith that God was there...but they will then read further, and they will have no doubt that He was! They will see the part fear played in my life, and the hope that replaced that fear! All strokes of a pen on the pages of my life.

I want more than my next breath, for my life to count for Christ! I want to leave a legacy of hope......I want to live well and end well!
I want to leave a Beautiful History!

To hear the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyAynr6WOk

3 comments:

Ronnie said...

Sheila, it's been fun to "get to know you" on facebook even though we are related. Silly isn't it? I love your spirit and heart and am looking forward to reading your thoughts as you write them in your blog.
Ronda Seward

Jamie said...

Love this, Sheila! Very well "said!" :)

Anonymous said...

Sheila, I've only known you for a short time but what I've learned about you leads me to believe that your legacy is secure. You are a kind and caring soul. You have the strength to make the hard decisions. Your heart seeks after God. You bless my life.