Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finding the Joy!

I have the winter blues! There, I said it! No, I am not going through a 'Great Depression' or anything close, but I do have the blahs. I get them every year around this time. I am tired of being cold, I am tired of wearing heavy clothes, and my feet are screaming for flip-flops.

I think the one thing I have noticed for the first time this year, is how I am wishing the days away. I keep looking at the calendar, longing for the days to hurry up, so I can flip to the month of June. I realize that I have failed to savor these days...find the joy in them. I am barely going through the motions, doing only the necessary.

I read recently a quote by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, "Think that this day will never dawn again."

After reading that, I felt conviction settle in. I have not been making the most out of each individual day. I have been letting the chill in the air, steal the joy from my heart!
I want to once again, find that joy that comes because as a child of God, my Father orchastrates each day for me. I want to celebrate each day as if it will never come again!

This next week will be very much about restoring the joy into my days!

Psalms 16: 8, 9, 11....

"I have set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my tongue rejoices; my body will also rest secure.
You have made known to me the path of life; and you fill me with joy in Your presence..."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's good to have you back, Sheila. Time is like currency and we decide how to spend each minute. I have been reminded about this, too. I'm not wishing for June but I too easily allow myself to fritter away time that could be spent relieving the stress that comes from not being well prepared!

As Anne of Green Gables said, "Every day is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Blessings to you, friend.

www.candytroutman.wordpress.com

RicKaren said...

Aww...I love it! This is what I was 'preaching' a while back on my blog. You might have to remind me this summer when I am the one longing for a change of season. ;)