Sunday, August 30, 2009

Am I Climbing?

This postcard hangs on my refrigerator. I purchased it in Seattle at the this store!
It asks me a very important question each time I look at it, and that is why it is hanging where I see it many times a day!
You see, I am a not a mountain climber by nature...literally and figuratively. I don't long to tie up my boots, strap a heavy pack to my back, and hit the trail. No, I am the "stay in camp" gal. You looking for someone to have a steaming pot of stew cooking over the fire for when you return from a long day of hiking....I am the one for you!!
I like smooth trails...literally and figuratively. I like a smooth life too. It seems easier and more predictable that way. Nothing out of the ordinary catches me by surprise...I've got it all under control...at least I like to tell myself that!
But guess what happens when life's trail gets bumpy, or a huge tree falls down right in my easy path? I whine, I weep, I grumble...literally!

As I go down the path of life, I find that as long as it is easy, I am fall into a comfortable, lethargic pattern of just barely living. The day in and day out of doing and doing and.....
It is when I am forced to strap on my pack and tie up my shoes for a hard climb, that I find that God has something planned for me, that I am going to need "the gear" for!

He has never promised that my trail is going to be smooth, but He has promised to fill me with His strength...and enough to get me to the top of the mountain! He has never said that there wouldn't ever be massive oaks of discouragement, illness, fatigue, pain, misunderstandings, unkindness....but He has on many occasions, picked me up, and carried me over what is obstructing my path.

In the past year, I have faced my own mountains. Some have been exciting, yet overwhelming in nature...some have been painful and frightening! I ask myself everyday if I am climbing them with the excitement of what lies ahead, or am I grumbling, because it is hard? Sometimes, that just depends on the day....but my prayer is always that I will find endurance to climb!

I don't want to be a whiny valley dweller, when I can climb to the top and watch eagles soar!
So excuse me while I go find my hiking boots.....I've got a mountain to climb!

0 comments: